Many people constantly mix concepts of SPAM and email marketing. Some people think they are the same and consider email marketing as SPAM. Now we’ll explain the difference.
SPAM is mass sending of email advertising messages when receivers didn’t agree to receive it. In the case of spam newsletters the addresses of receivers are often got by illegal way: the lists are bought, usage of grabber programs for searching email addresses at different sites, writing programs for automatic email php form submissions at sites etc.
Email marketing is mass sending of email messages when user agreed to receive it. User may agree to receive letters by different ways: he can subscribe mailing at site, fill registration information at site and agree with registration conditions by filling paper blanks and writing his email address etc. There is a large amount of variants. But the main fact is that person agreed to receive mailing himself.
Here are some main characteristics of SPAM and email marketing
Characteristics of email marketing:
- opportunity of unsubscribing to mailing
- low periodicity of mailing
- qualitative useful information
- personalization of letters.
Characteristics of SPAM:
- user has no opportunity to unsubscribe
- address of sender is falsified
- mass and high periodicity of messages
- useless information
- very large mailing lists (are often composed of millions of receivers)
- fishing often occurs. It is attempt of SPAMers to coax out of letter receiver the numbers of his credit cards or passwords for access to online payment system. Such letter usually disguises itself as official notification from bank administration. It contains information that requires confirmation of personal data and warning about account block in opposite case. Also it contains site address (belong to SPAMers) and form to be filled. Requested data also contain data necessary for swindlers. The layout of official bank site is also imitated so as victim wouldn’t guess about falsification.
- Antiadvertisement – messages defame competitors and their production.
- Advertisement of illegal production – messages contain advertising of pornography, forbidden pharmaceutical products, cracked software.
These are some particularities of SPAM and email marketing. These lists are not full, but they contain main differences between these mailings.