Every day we receive a big number of email notifications and often pay no attention to them. But they are a very powerful tool for marketing specialists because it is an extra cause to remind client about yourself, to suggest additional products or services, increase his loyalty.
Notification principle supposes its automation: they must be generated automatically on the basis of presence of some conditions:
Placing an order, changing its status;
Order sending, deliverance;
- Registration on the site;
- Filling of the application; questionnaire filling;
Download of price/ distributive/ brochure etc.;
In fact email notification must be a reaction of your business model on the development of situation and events. That’s why if it is sent operatively and it is relevant regarding the current events, the result will be remarkable.
To define the sense of previous paragraph, we will give you one simple example based on e-shop. Foe example, one registered client was looking for a refrigerator at e-commerce site, he considered different variants but did not make an order. The reaction on such client’s behavior can be sending him email notification after 1-2 days informing about the arrival of new batch of refrigerators or suggestion of additional discount. It may have a qualitative impact on client’s decision about refrigerator purchase just in this e-shop. But to implement this mechanism you naturally require many working hours to build a system of clients’ actions monitoring and writing rules for the way email notifications will be sent. Usually such systems are implemented by big corporations.
But there are also simpler systems of email notifications which may be easy realized in any online business. For example, in e-shop client adds the item to shopping cart and makes the order. Just after this event a notification is sent to email informing that order is invoiced and giving recommendations for payment. Moreover:
- If client doesn’t rush to pay for the order we can remind about unpaid order every day (of course, we also give an opportunity to switch off these notifications);
- After payment we send to client a letter confirming fact of money receiving to make him sure that money reached the aim and were not lost;
- If the good requires international or interurban delivery, after its shipping we send notification that client may wait for the good during N days;
- And, at last, when client received the good and has been using it for some time, we send letter with questions about his level of satisfaction with the quality of e-shop service, his wishes, etc.;
- If client doesn’t answer, you can send it one more time to assure that client has really read it.
Such actions help to build loyal relation of clients to your business and increase probability of repeat ordering.
Here is one more example of email notification implementation. For example, it some abstract online service clients pay for site usage every month. To make the clients pay in time you can send email notification 5, 3, 1 days before the payed term ends. Further if client didn’t pay you should remind about yourself every week for a long time. This way you can increase index of repeat service ordering and returning clients after refusal.
Now let’s pay attention to the organization of your email notification system. Here are some key moments that worth your attention:
- How well are template and text of notification composed? Is it optimized for displaying in post programs? Does it contain personalization? Are letter’s header and first sentences correctly composed? Is there an opportunity to unsubscribe from notifications? All these things are very important for general effectiveness of the system.
- How often are notifications sent? Are they all similar or different? Don’t send similar notifications several times. The sense of notifications should be changed because in the opposite case such letters may annoy client and he may unsubscribe from it.
Are text and format of notification adjusted to individual behavior and interests of client? Ideally, notification system should analyze actions or inaction of user and send him appropriate notifications.
- Notifications are sent by many companies. You should understand that user may receive a big number of letters every day. That’s why it is important to choose time when its effectiveness may be maximal, when the letter will not be lost among other ones and will be read. For this it is necessary to estimate conversion of letter opening and link pressing depending on the time of the mailing.
These are the main things that you should pay attention to while letters’ creation and mailing.
Here is an approximate kit of notification which may be used:
- Series of letters while programs download;
- Letter at the time of creation of payment bill;
- Series of remindings about unpaid order;
Series of notifications about expiration of term of free software update;
Notifications about ending money balance on the account.
It is very important to constantly estimate the effectiveness of email notifications and improve intellectuality of system.
Besides don’t mix usual email newsletter with email notifications. Newsletter addresses to big number of users and doesn’t take into account client’s behavior. Notifications are directly binded with client’s actions and have maximal personalization.